Microsoft Outlook is one of the most widely used email clients that provides high data security and many user-centric features. We all know that Outlook makes use of OST and PST files to store its data in the local machine. While both the OST and PST files perform their functions, users can experience a problem; while using Offline Storage Tables (OST).
When it comes to the OST file, Microsoft stores Exchange mailbox data in the Offline Storage Table in the Offline (Cached Exchange) mode. When users are working in offline mode, that means if the user made any changes in data when there is no internet connection, after getting reconnected to the Exchange, the changes made get updated to the Exchange Server mailbox. But there is a need for OST file to PST conversion times when the Exchange crashes or if the user wants to access the OST files in another system.
In this write-up, we will talk about the manual method and a professional OST to PST converter to complete the conversion task easily.
Reasons behind OST to PST conversion
- At times, when the Exchange Server crashes due to a virus attack or through any other reason. You will not be able to connect with the Exchange server, which leads to affect your business workflow. By converting OST to PST file, you can avoid these circumstances.
- If there is a sudden deletion of the Exchange Server account or loss of data in Exchange, then there is only a chance to recover the data by converting the OST file to PST.
- When the Exchange Server goes for maintenance, then to access mailboxes items, the requirement to convert OST to PST will arise.
- The organization keeps planning to move the data from one system to system; in such a case, you need to convert the OST file to PST file format.
Now, let’s look at how to convert an OST file into a PST file manually.
How to manually convert OST file format to PST?
Method 1:- Import and Export Wizard
- Need to run the Outlook program in the system.
- Move on to click the file tab.
- Click on the Import/Export option from the list of four options.
- Now, click on Export to a file and then select the Next button to move forward.
- Then the screen will prompt you to choose the type of file to import. Select the PST file and make a click on the Next button.
- Now, choose the folder you want to export. After selecting the file, click the Next button to continue.
- Select the Allow Duplicate Creation from the list and click on the Done button to continue.
- Choose the desired path to save the resultant file in the system.
Method 2:- Drag and drop into a new PST
- The first step is to open MS Outlook and create a new PST file.
- Select New Element from the toolbar and click on More Items, then choose the Outlook Data File.
- Then mention the file name and you can also set a password.
- Now, click on the OK button to create a new PST file.
Note– Pick and drag all of the mailbox files wanted to transfer into the newly created PST format.
Method 3:- Outlook Archive Feature
This method requires you to allow the archive settings to save OST files to the system as a new PST file. Follow the given below steps to form an archive mailbox:
- First, you need to open Outlook and click on the File Menu option.
- Go to Options and then steer to Advanced.
- Click on Auto Archive Setting tab.
- Now specify the total number of days to carry out auto-archive.
- Using the Browse button, locate the desired location to save the archive file.
- Then click on the OK button to continue.
- Now the process will automatically start to move on the mailbox’s items in the new PST file.
- After the completion, click on the Finish button.
Limitation of manual methods
- Manual methods involve a risk of data loss.
- Non-technical user will find difficulty to apply the manual method for converting OST file format to PST.
- The folder-hierarchy will not be maintained.
- Manual conversion is a time-consuming task.
- The user cannot convert the corrupted OST file.
To avoid these limitations, you can use a Shoviv OST to PST converter to ease them out of the conversion task.
A Professional OST to PST converter
Shoviv OST to PST converter is the solution to ease out the conversion task, and its user-centric feature allows users to perform the task smoothly. This tool makes the work easier to recover inaccessible, corrupted OST file items and convert them to PST. Now check out some prominent characteristics making Shoviv OST to PST converter the stand-out choice for converting OST file into a PST file.
- In contrast to the manual process, there is no restriction on adding large size OST file in this tool.
- This tool comes out very useful to not disturbing the metaproperties of mailboxes’ items during OST to PST conversion.
- It comes in handy to perform quick conversion of OST file to PST due to its user-centric GUI.
- This tool enables to migration of mailboxes from OST to office 365.
- During conversion, the folder hierarchy and meta-properties of the folder remain intact.
- Shoviv OST to PST converter allows saving mailboxes items into various file formats like EML, PST, HTML, MSG, vCal, vCard, etc.
- The trial version of this tool is also available, wherein the user can process the first 50 items/folder for file conversion.
Let’s now quickly check the working of a tool.
Steps to convert OST file to PST by Shoviv OST to PST Converter:
- First, you need to install and open the Shoviv OST to PST converter software.
- Secondly, make a click on Add OST file button located on the ribbon bar of the tool.
- Now, the user can add the required OST file to convert it into a PST file. Along with add button, multiple options are available like Remove, Remove all, and Search. Users can perform an advanced scan. After picking up a file, click on the OK button.
- Here, the user can check the folder list of selected files, make a right-click on it then the option will appear wherein you can see the folder content.
- Now press the OST to PST button on the ribbon bar, or right-click the selected files and pick the option to save all files to Outlook PST.
- Then, the screen will show you to check/uncheck the Sub-Folders page. Here check or uncheck the subfolder and make a click on the Next button.
- Now, you will prompt to the filter page, where you can apply a filter based on Process Message Class and Process Item Date Range. Then click on the Next button.
- You must select whether you want to export to an existing file or build a new one. The user can also set the password for a PST file along with fixing the resultant PST size. After choosing the desired option, click on the Next button.
- After that, the software will start OST to PST conversion. Once the process gets completed, a message will appear, where you need to make a click on the OK button. You can also save the process report in an HTML format through the Save Report button.
We started this article by explaining why there is a need to convert an OST file to a PST file? Then we looked at different conversion options. Since manual methods have drawbacks compared to a third-party OST to PST converter, it is preferable to use a professional tool for OST to PST conversion.